A lot of women today equate the word "liberated" with "free-to-do-what-I-want!" Free to work how I choose. Free to live how I want, for good or bad. Free to be rude to men and denegrate them. Free to denegrate and mock other women who choose to hold men in respect.
She sees a man behaving in a polite manner - i.e. holding a door or offering a woman his seat on a bus - and she sees it either as his questioning a woman's ability to take care of herself or that he's just a weak-willed, brow-beaten pathtic fool. But don't dare let that man not hold a door for her or ignore the fact she's standing on the bus. With this type of "liberated woman", a guy just can't win.
These type of women remind me of an illustration Preacher uses from time to time:
These so-called liberated women snap and snarl and yap at the rest of us women, telling us how limited we are behind our fences of respect and kindness. But, these "liberated women" are the ones who are limited and fenced in. They are limited in the respect they receive from others. Perhaps the accomplishments they achieve are admired and respected, but if they snapped and snarled at others as they achieved them, the respect is limited only to the achievement. What respect they do receive is from others of their kind but, again, it's limited. Let one of them say anything the least bit out of line with their perceived beliefs and she's no longer "one of them" or she's not truly a "liberated woman!"
So, I'm sure you're wondering why I say I am a liberated woman. Allow me to explain:
- I have accepted Jesus Christ as my Saviour. I am liberated from my sin. Romans 6:14 & 18 says "For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace. Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness." I am now a servant, not a slave. I am at liberty to choose to continue my service to God or not.
- I Timothy 2:9 says "women adorn themselves in modest apparel," Because I choose obedience to this command I am liberated from the lascivious thoughts of sexual predators. I don't have to worry that the same man who looks at me with interest is only looking at me as a piece of meat, that he's also going to go home and trawl porn sites on the internet.
- I demand respect by my behaviour as a lady. Because I give the same respect to men I demand, I receive it in return. I am liberated from the lack of respect and crudities they flaunt in front of other women. - (aside) - I worked for years for a minor league pro-hockey team and, in all that time, only one man I'm aware of professed to be a Christian. But, because I was respectful of and to the players, they reciprocated that respect. At my request they did their best to curb their swearing in my presence (they didn't for other women) and they kept themselves decently covered at all times when I was around (again, they didn't around other women). I was liberated from their disrespect because I treated them with respect. - (back to the lesson) -
- I am at liberty to be friends with both women AND men because I don't practice deceit or sprinkle my conversations with sexual innuendo. I follow Proverbs 18:24 where it says "A [wo]man that hath friends must shew [herself] friendly:" I am neither "retranslating" or doing a disservice to the Bible by inserting the feminine, here. We women are extremely emotional creatures. We need to remember to ask God to reign in our emotions so that we CAN be friendly without it going down the wrong path. Remember, "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." (Philippians 4:13)
- Ephesians 6:1-3 says "Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right. Honour thy father and mother; (which is the first commandment with promise;) That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth." Because I have chosen to be obedient to this commandment (and my parents) I have been liberated from God's punishment of a short life.
A woman of discretion.
A woman of honesty.
A woman of passion.
A woman of purity.
A woman of respect.
I am a Liberated Woman!